Bakkehuset today is a literary and cultural history museum, housed in the apartment where Hans Christian Andersen had visited plenty of times. During that time, Bakkehuset was owned by professor and theatre director Knud Lyne Rahbek and his wife, Kamma. The couple lived there from 1802 until they died in 1829 and 1830 respectively.
Bakkehuset is the oldest building of Frederiksberg from the 1620s, and the building’s name refers to its location on the Valby Bakke. It was a place for many philosophical and artistic current. The house has had many functions over time and has also been called Rahbekske Mindestuer. The name comes from the days when the house was an inn and Knud Lyne Rahbek was a regular guest.
His wife, Kamma Rahbek , managed a hair salon in Bakkehuset during the Danish Golden Age. Kamma was interested in the new art of Romanticism, while Knud harboured a passion for the ideals of the Enlightenment age. Hans Christian Andersen enjoyed his visits to Bakkehuset, and in his works he recounts on several occasions his relation to the place.
Bakkehuset was subsequently rented to summer visitors from Copenhagen after Rahbeks time and later purchased for other purposes. In the 19th century, the house’s western and northern four wings were taken down due to decay, while the buildings in which Rahbeks had lived in, remained standing.
The aforementioned Rahbekske Mindestuer opened in 1925, and Bakkehuset was redecorated in the 1950’s, based on information from Rahbeks period of time and it exists like that to this day.
The museum aims to give a vivid impression of the home where many of the golden age writers, artists and scientists came to visit and combined currents of the Enlightenment and Romanticism.