The sculpture consists of two parts: the darning needle, made of Swedish granite, and the pin, made from granite from Bornholm, with its’ large polished head. The sculpture was donated by A / S Blumøller and Fynske Købsteders Brandforsikring.
Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale “The Darning-Needle” (1845) was the inspiration for the sculpture. It is the story of the haughty needle convinced it is a sewing needle. The darning-needle ends up lost and forgotten in the gutter with a humble button pin.